Joshua Bonnetta (b.Canada 1979) is an artist and filmmaker working at the edges of documentary across
installation, performance, and traditional cinema exhibition.
His work has been shown at The Berlinale, BFI London Film Festival, Institute of Contemporary Art (London), Museum of Modern Art (New York), New York Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival, Whitechapel Gallery, and at various festivals, museums, and galleries internationally. His work has been written about in Art Forum, Frieze, Sight & Sound, Cinemascope, The Guardian, and the New York Times.
He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Cinema, Photography, & Media Art at Ithaca College. His sound works are published by Shelter Press, Canti Magnetici, and Senufo Editions.
- Shoreline Movements Taipei Biennial, curated by Erika Balsom and Grégory Castéra (Council)
- Vilnius Documentary Film Festival
- Alchemy Film Festival
- Cambridge Film Festival
- Berlin Film Festival World premiere of The Two Sights
- Cinéma du Réel French premiere of The Two Sights
- Bahrain National Museum screening of The Two Sights presented by The Wapping Project
- Barbican- Borders and Boundaries
- Spring Sessions- Wadi Rum, Jordan
- Screening Disappearance - University of Warwick
- Halifax International Film Festival
- USC, School of Cinematic Arts - Los Angeles, CA
- Now-Instant! - Los Angeles, CA
- BAMPFA - Binghamton, NY
- Taigh Chearsabhagh Museum & Arts Centre
- Goldsmiths and Birbeck/University of London - Sensible Cinema
- NYU "Field Recording and Documentary Sound"
- Goldsmiths. El Mar La Mar (Screening and Q+A with Joshua Bonnetta and Nishat Awan)
- Whitechapel Gallery screening of Caolas na Hearadh (Excerpt)
- ICA London. El Mar La Mar. Installation
- WORM Rotterdam
- Berlin Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival-ICA London
- American Film Institute: AFI-Docs
- New York Film Festival
- Vienna International Film Festival
- International Documentary Festival Amsterdam
- DocAviv Film Festival
- Hong Kong International Film Festival
- San Francisco International Film Festival
- Minneapolis International Film Festival
- Jeonju International Film Festival
- Cinema Du Reel International Film Festival
- Copenhagen Architecture Festival
- Indie Lisboa Festival
- Documenta Madrid
- Dokfest Munich
- Olhar de Cinema Festival
- Tokyo Image Forum
- Syros Film Festival
- Kunstnernes Hus
- Kaunas International Film Festival
- Filmmaker Festival Milan
- Society for Visual Anthropology
- RIDM. Montreal International Documentary Festival
- Marshall McLuhan Gallery, Canadian Embassy Berlin. Berlinale. Sound installation Lago
- Cinema Projects. Portland, USA
- Uplink Theatre. Tokyo Japan
- Chicago International Film Festival
- Pravo Ludski Film Festival Sarajevo
- Human Rights Festival Zagrab
- University of Lusofona. Sound installation of Lago. Lisbon, Portugal.
- Gallery Lusiotti. Lago sound installation as part of Ron Judes Lago. Los Angeles, California.
- The Rooms Gallery. Strange Lines and Distances. Installation. St. Johns NFLD, Canada.
- The Johnson Museum of Art. Strange Lines and Distances. Installation.
- Cleveland Museum of Contemporary Art. Strange Lines and Distances. Screening and Artist Talk.
- Le Bon Accueil. Rennes, France. Strange Lines and Distances. Installation
- Moscow Polytechnic Museum. Art and Science Film Festival. Remanence III, screening.
- Melbourne Art Fair/Screen Space. Lanterna. Installation.
- Imagine Science Film Festival. Remanence III. Screening. Made In NY Media Center. Brooklyn, New York. October.
- Imagine Science Film Festival. Strange Lines and Distances. Installation. Made In NY Media Center. Brooklyn, New York.
- New York Film Festival. Screening. Remanence IV. Oct.
- Edinburgh Film Festival. Screening. Remanence I. June.
- Rotterdam International Film Festival. Screening. Strange Lines and Distances. Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Feb.
- Berlinale. Strange Lines and Distances. Installation
- Berlinale. Remanence I
- Concordia University. Communications Gallery. American Colour. Installation.
- YYZ Gallery. Toronto, Canada. Strange Lines & Distances. Two channel film and 5.1 sound Installation. March.
- Union Docs. Brooklyn, NYC.
- Western Front Gallery. Vancouver, Canada
- WNDX. Winnipeg, Canada. Special Presentation. Retrospective
- Senufo Editions DVD/record launch. Milano, Bologna, Vimercate Italy. Screening/performance
- Nuit Blanche. Toronto City Hall, Canada. Museum for the End of the world. American Colour. Installation
- Screen Space. Melbourne, Australia. Exhibition American Colour. November. Installation 15th.
- Wavelength. Toronto International Film Festival. Screening "American Colour"
- Portland International Film Festival. Screening. "Long Shadows"
- 25fps Festival. Zagreb Croatia. Screening "Long Shadows"
- Eyeworks Festival for Experimental Animation. "November Light"